WHY MUST ISRAEL CONTINUE TO BE A “JEWISH STATE”?

There is an interesting Op-Ed in the Washington Post, “An Israel equal to all, Jewish or not”, by Patricia Marks Greenfield, a Psychology Professor at UCLA, which is linked as follows:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/an-israel-equal-for-all-jewish-or-not/2014/09/26/83151758-3a05-11e4-9c9f-ebb47272e40e_story.html.  In it, Prodfessor Geenfield calls for equal rights for all and a Single-State, rather than a Two-State, Solution to the on-going Israeli-Palestinian dilemma.

As long as Israel is controlled by the Conservative elements of its Society, both Politically and Spiritually, it will always advertise the “Jewish State” theme.  For instance, it is my understanding that a couple cannot even marry in Israel unless each can prove their “Jewishness”.  So, they have to travel to another county, marry, and then return to Israel, where their union would then be recognized.  How utterly stupid is that?

Maintaining the Jewish theme (requirement even) might have been appropriate during the early stages of the State, or perhaps in small villages and kibbutzim; but, as a State grows, and evolves into a modern one, it must expand its way of thinking–both Politically and Religiously.  History shows that you cannot have freedom for the Jews within the State, but not for others?  Didn’t we learn that in Germany in the 1930s?

Such religious, ethnic and tribal factions seem to separate society virtually everywhere in the Middle East.  Indirectly that has caused the rise to power of various Strongmen Dictators, such as Saddam Hussein and Hosni Mubarak.  And then when they are deposed, all Hell breaks loose.  Perhaps, that’s what we are seeing today.

I definitely agree with Professor Greenfield in that, 66 years after its birth, Israel must transform itself into a truly Modern State. Oddly enough, it has done just that, Economically and Technologically; so, why not Societally?  Throughout its history, Israel has benefitted from German, Russian and other Caucasian Immigrants.  But, has it really tried to develop the talents of native Arabs and Ethiopian Immigrants?  Remember: it’s not 1948 anymore.

Advertisements

1. #1 by cheekos on September 28, 2014 - 1:05 AM

Welcome to our readers from Portugal.

2. #2 by John on September 28, 2014 - 6:58 AM

Aren’t you sorry that the jewish state is so heavenly supported by the US Jewish community? Could it not be that the jewish community in the US is so much controlling the US financial- and political system that it will ever possible that a ‘Modern’ Israël can exist?

• #3 by cheekos on September 28, 2014 - 2:04 PM

John, the Conservative Religious “Right”controls religiosity, in the U.S., as much as its Conservative counterparts in Israel do. If the Jews in the U.S. enthusiastically support Israel, they do not necessarily control where that money goes. I have personally known many Jewish Americans over the years, and most–if not ALL–of them that I have known, are Moderate.

Frankly, it is a tired, lame excuse for discussion to try to suggest the Jews are controlling the U.S. Financial and Political System. Also, as a Financial Advisor–in Manhattan, Miami and Ft. Lauderdale–I have known a great number of Jews, and had a good feel for their financial situations, since they were my clients. I can only think of one who might be considered Conservative. And he, when I think of it, certainly did not try to force his views–on religion or anything else–on others.

If you go on-line and read some of the Israeli Media, you will see that most Jews in Israel just want the missiles to stop–going back AND forth–on any given day. They are prepared to work with the Arabs and accept religious minorities. With regard to the racial discrimination toward the Ethiopian Jewish Immigrants, that might be a different matter: perhaps quite similar to the racism that still pervades against Blacks in America today.

3. #4 by Bo Winkle on October 8, 2014 - 3:56 AM

Because they are not a pluralistic democracy like the States, Netherlands, Canada, ext. They are a theocracy like Iran. Why rant you asking why Iran has to be Muslim. Not all states need to be made in the image you wish the embodied.

• #5 by cheekos on October 8, 2014 - 4:29 AM

Mr. Winkle, thanks for visiting my Blog. This whole topic could lead-off in many directions. I have had previous Comments suggest that American Jews have Israel in their back pocket. Also, there are many more Jews in the U.S. than there are Iranians–or even Muslims. So, that’s the direction I took in the Blog Post.

First, let me state that I seriously doubt that you can substantiate your claim that either Iran or Israel are theocracies. The only possible one that I can imagine–on the whole planet–is the Caliphate that the Islamic State is retrying to create in then Middle East.

Until the Shaw was deposed, Iran was quite a Westernized, Secular Society. Men and Women intermingled, danced and dined together, wore Western garb, drank and together. And Israel will have a population where the Jews are in the minority in the very near future. So, just direct me to whatever your sources are to substantiate a Theocracy in either nation.

Information abounds in the U.S. with regard to the Jewishness of Israel; however, there is not much available on Iran. The Washington Post, NY Times, Philadelphia Inquirer, Miami Herald, etc. all have in-house columnists–as well as external Israeli columnists–that cover the political environment in Israel on a regular basis. On the Internet, I can also access Israeli media. But Tehran continues to maintain Iran As a closed society, at least to the outside world.

So, when I have information, I would happily write about it. Now, I do not speak Farsi, so it would have to be available in English translation. Maybe you can point me in the right direction.

As an analogy, when I was a financial advisor, several times I tried to get research reports on both Sony and Toyota, two extremely large Japanese corporations that are traded on the NY Stock Exchange. Each company only had one analyst that covered it, and that coverage was stale and insufficient for my needs. Realistically, in many instances–business, politics, military affairs, human rights–oftentimes, there is just not much information that we can get on foreign news. And, that’s from our friendly allies, rather than a staunch antagonistic adversary. Honestly I could get more information on China and Russia; but, be sure to pass on anything that you find–relative to Iran.

And, thanks for visiting my Blog.

4. #6 by cheekos on October 18, 2014 - 2:23 AM

I have linked an interesting Op-Ed from the Miami Herald, by Uri Droumi, an Israeli correspondent.